Sunday, November 1, 2009

So for all the talk about my cool little car the Honda Fit in my previous post, I traded it in. This like many things is bittersweet. I bought an '09 Honda CR-V that was discounted, well because they were discounting them to make room for 2010's. I went the day before Halloween. I wanted to test drive a Red '08 VW R32. It is a Golf GTI that has a 6 cylinder, all leather and loaded! I also test drove an '08 Mini that was a manual and turbocharged! Both vehicles were ridiculously FAST! It was a thrill driving the stick, but with both of them coolness was the rule of the day versus practicality. They did a lot of what the Fit was doing, just faster and more expensive. Hauling stuff the Fit beat each one hands down. We then test drove a 4 door Civic SI. This car was fun and fast. I knew that I wouldn't buy it but I kind of knew at this point that I was determined to buy something. Chris, my salesman who sold me the Fit was amazing. This wasn't the first time since riding in my friend Jeremy's Mini, that I'd talked with Chris about a new car. Each time he talked me out of it. So we head over to the used lot and I see a Black '07 CR-V with 35,000 miles on it, and in great condition. Now when I went to buy a car last January I originally looked at CR-V's. So now I gravitated towards this used one. Chris had me look at a new '09 with 38 miles on it and ran the numbers. As far as financing it was a difference of $2000 over the life of the loan. Did I mention the new one was discounted $1,800 dollars? I went new and got a silver one with black interior and had these cool black wheels added, (a little bling). I like the CR-V a lot and it will be my primary vehicle for a long time. It looks sharp, and will look better when I get the windows tinted. It definitely speaks to a stylish utilitarian practicality that will last for years. On the down side I am missing the Fit, a little. part of it has to do with it's nimble zippiness, the other is I just tacked on an additional $8000 worth of debt that I didn't have Friday morning. Though I think that I have a better vehicle for my purposes I've now come to realize that I need to think strategically about money, because I don't. I live in a world that because I don't have any credit card debt and I can afford to live a little comfortably, I think I am doing "fine." It occurs to me that I really need to tackle my financial situation responsibly buy spending less, and saving more. Having an additional income stream of say another $1000+/month take home would help immeasurably towards, fixing my long neglected teeth, saving for that retirement, and buying my future home. Still there are many doing all of that and making less, so don't feel sorry for me. I am open to suggestions. I promise my next post will be full of wit and humor, oh your still waiting for those things. Well I did just buy a new car, so take that!

On my next installment, hear about how I walk into a house and there is a clown, a Transformer, a ninja, and a redhead. We are on a mission from G-d!

No comments: