Sunday, February 12, 2012

A Big Push No Where?

So the positive. My workouts were good, though I only had two "twofers" ( a morning and evening workout ). Weight training was good. I learned that I can burn through a complete all body workout doing three complete 12 weight training exercise circuits, and two core/ab 5 exercise circuits in 45 minutes. We are talking minimal rest, almost going straight from one exercise to another, almost like super setting. Put another way I did 600 repetitions of exercise in 45 minutes. Mind you that factors in exercises like forearm curls, tricep extentions, and bicep curls, since each arm will do an equal amount of repetitions as the other. My heart rate was up.

I also made it a point to try to eat no carbs that consisted of white flour, or even wheat for that matter. Largely successful, save for some potato chips that I ate over the course of this past week.

Now the not so positive, I "pushed" this week in my waist measurements. Meaning I'm still at 48.75" inches as I was last week. Didn't gain any back but didn't lose any either. This is disheartening because I thought by going without bread products combined with exercise I would have lost between .66" to .75", and thus catching up or completely maintaining my average of .5" lost per week. As February stands I am now .75 inches behind this goal, having lost only .25 inches since the 4th.

Still in this endeavor it is important to look at this push positively. I didn't gain anything back, and I can maintain forward progress. As I tell my students when they are learning to shoot, stay focussed on the process of shooting and not the outcome. If you expect to hit a bullseye, but you aren't working the process, you'll be disappointed with the outcome. Likewise if you're tearing up the bullseye, but lose focus for one of your shots and miss the bullseye, there is but one thing to do, learn from your error, move on, (because you can't call, a mulligan recall the bullet back into the gun, and re shoot), and shoot to the best of your ability for the follow up shots, by working the process. Doing the latter, the outcome will likely solve itself.

So really I can only learn and work the process. Did those 500 calories of potato chips, (over 6 days) derail my efforts? Was there an overall reduction in calories because I wasn't eating any grain based products, and was my body just adjusting to this "change?" Was I not getting enough sleep this past week? Was my weight workout too fast? Did I not do enough non circuit training cardio? Is my body simply taking a break after shedding 2.25" from around my waist over the last six weeks? Honestly I don't know the answers to most of these questions. Obviously some things I can factor in and adjust for.

In the end I can only work my process and do mostly everything right, control what I can control, (can't really control if my body decides it needs a bit of a break from losing inches), and keep "pushing" forward, knowing with confidence that at some point I will achieve my goals of total inches lost around the waist, and better physical and emotional health. To do that I have to stay present in the moment, and "work the process" and let the outcome solve itself.

Best regards.


No comments: